Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Course Tour and LPGA Information

A Walking Assessment Of The Golf Course

As a turf manager I know that one gets a much clearer picture of course conditions when playing a round of golf than when driving the facililty in a cart. Even mowing greens or fairways gives me a better perspective of the grounds. However I did something on Wednesday that I have never done in my 23 years as a superintendent during the golf season. Eric and I needed to do a comprehensive course tour and I figured we'd be doing the usual "drive the course", review our progress to date and identify problems. Wrong. Eric suggested a walk through beginning at the back of the first tee all the way to the 18th green. At first I thought why not ride as usual? But with the showery weather and a very quiet course until the Men's League shotgun we did the tour. I have Eric to thank for nudging me forward. It shouldn't surprise anyone to learn that it was the best thing we could've done.

Out of the tour we have developed a very thorough list of important detail work that we can now concentrate on. This is something that has nagged at me since my arrival here at the Royal Mayfair. The major project work of the last 2 golf seasons and the final stages we are very close to finishing this year didn't allow us to really focus in on many small details that needed attention. Much of the work you probably wouldn't notice, and of course, some of it you will. The list is too long to go into here but I will inform you of anything that may cause you to sit up and take notice. 90% of the work will not affect play. Other work will result in small ground under repair areas. For example there will be some collar adjustments around a few greens that will involve some minor sod work and we are finally improving the right side of the 10th hole on the corner.

Eric and I were both very pleased with the overall condition of the golf course and I hope that you as members are as well. Perfection by definition is a goal that cannot be reached but it is extremely important that we make every effort to strive to attain perfection and that myself and the Turf Care Team are clear on the path we will take throughout the golf season.

I want to be clear that this list was developed to further improve the club for YOUR benefit. The LPGA event in August just happens to be a benefactor of the process. Be rest assured the goals and methods of care we have established for the Royal Mayfair will continue well into the future.


LPGA Information

A quick update to let you know that we plan on protecting the tee zones that will be used for the event. Around the 15th of July any teeing area that has been established for use during the tournament will be kept out of play (except for the Championship weekend). My past experiences have led me to believe we will need to use a covering material to keep golfers off. Something easy to move for our operators that doesn't interfere with light, air or water. I saw it used at Merion. Hopefully after the dust has settled I can contact their Turf Department and find out the exact product. Eric has a pretty good idea what it is but we'll find out for sure. The range tee will move to the Turf Hound mats permanently around the middle of July too. It will take that long for it to recover and be presentable for the best Women golfers in the world.

And without further ado as promised here are the tentative yardages and specific tees that will be used for the CN Womens Canadian Open:
  1. 417 yds - back of blue tee
  2. 331 yds - back of gold tee
  3. 546 yds - back of gold tee
  4. 156 yds - back of white tee
  5. 434 yds - blue tee
  6. 346 yds - back of blue tee
  7. 412 yds - back of blue tee
  8. 175 yds - back of blue tee
  9. 405 yds - blue tee
  10. 378 yds - back of golds and the small round tee
  11. 191 yds - back of blue tee
  12. 411 yds - back of blue tee
  13. 397 yds - front of new gold tee
  14. 528 yds - back of gold tee
  15. 374 yds - back of white tee
  16. 143 yds - back of blue tee
  17. 397 yds - back of blue tee
  18. 402 yds - back of old gold tee
Total       Par 70      6443 yds

If you see some sort of discrepency call the LPGA not me. I'm just the messenger.
This was very long blog post. Hope you found the time to read it all.

Wade





No comments:

Post a Comment