Monday, November 28, 2011

It Never Ends


Sometimes I ask myself why I decided to become a golf course superintendent. Its an easy answer on a calm clear early morning in mid July. Nobody on the back 9, mowers have just gone through and conditions are pristine. The last few days in Edmonton have pushed those thoughts far away for now. It seems just when you think we can slow down after a long fall season of renovations along comes very warm weather and rain.

Rain in the winter on a snow covered golf course is never a good combination. Right now we have snow  but only inches of it. Some greens are well insulated, others are just a few nice days away from us having to remove the small amount of snow and reduce the possibility of ice formation. As it is there is a thin layer of granular ice/snow on every green at the surface. I can still see the turf plants if I scrape off the excess. There is no point removing snow if it isn't warm enough (at least 5 C and sunny) to melt whatever is left over. In fact I've had that turn to ice in the past. So now we wait. As of today I'm cautiously optimistic. Tomorrow? Who knows? Watch the video please. I will keep you posted.

Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment