Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Week Ahead And Fairway Divots

The maintenance program of consistent, light topdressing on greens, tees and approaches has begun as you may have noticed. It is all part of our plan to establish firmer playing surfaces, reduce excessive thatch and mat in the profile and improving the overall health of the most important areas of the golf course. Other cultural practices are also underway for improved turf health but they are more subtle procedures (yet no less important).


Maintenance bullets for the coming week:
  • Light topdressing of the greens early Tuesday morning (Monday will not work this time). Have my assurance that they will roll smooth and consistent for Ladies Day and that topdressing on Tuesdays will not become a trend.
  • Double cutting of greens to begin June 1st (Monday to Friday as the norm).
  • Aeration and overseeding of any haul road area that was not sodded (right side of #3 for example).
  • Continued broadleaf weed spraying including a general application on all fairways to begin knottweed control (that bright green, tiny leaf plant invading any weak area of our fairways - usually a location where Poa annua is prevalent.
  • Greens repair on #15 and #16. Spiking/sand/seed on smaller areas and some collars as required.
  • Solid tine aeration of the chipping green as we move that surface to something more similar to the rest of the course.
  • Establishment of a collar at the warmup green. We will be removing some of the bluegrass and adding a strip of bentgrass to give the same look as the practice green but obviously not as wide.
  • Keep reminding my staff to quit scalping that new collar when mowing the practice green. Sheesh!! 

Fairway Divots

I have explained my thoughts on fairway divot repair in the upcoming June Newsletter. Basically I would prefer that any divot be replaced and then a light layer of sand/seed from the bottle be applied on top. It is the best of both worlds. It isn't just an unsightly divot left to fend for itself and its certainly not a mini bunker (a hole with some sand in it). Try it and you'll see what I'm getting at. I have considered all the variables and all the arguments for and against and this is what I believe is best for the Royal Mayfair and our growing conditions. Of course, if the divot breaks apart or ends up out of reach, by all means use your sand/seed bottle. That is much better than doing nothing at all. Loose divots that are not replaced "litter" the fairways and get chopped up and streak the turf during the next day's fairway mowing as well. Not good.


Comments or concerns? Let me know as I can't address your issues unless I know about them although I can hear it now, "Be careful what you wish for." Don't worry. Most superintendents have a thick skin including myself. Usually.

All for now,
Wade

1 comment:

  1. Wade,

    I came across your website blog while goggling my own under fairway divot bottles. I read all that you had to say about replacing fairway divots and wish I wrote it. Without sounding patronizing would you mind if I quoted you comments with footnote on my website. I've been taught by many Course Superintendents that this is the way and only way to replace fairway divots, too often members and guests are too lazy to do both and just leave divot. Nice article. If you not familiar with our company please look at our website. twenty years ago I was the 1st in Canada to produce a divot bottle for pull carts they were only supplied to golf cars. Many have copied my design but not to the full extent to duplicate our quality. Robert Watson - www.kaddy-lac.com/bottles

    ReplyDelete