Friday, July 27, 2012

Everybody's Getting Frustrated

Back up a couple of weeks if you will. The weather was great, the course was "firm and fast" and life was grand at most of the Edmonton area golf courses.  I'll make the assumption a majority of our members were happy if not satisfied too. 10 to 14 days later and the level of discontent is reaching the boiling point. I'm frustrated, my staff are frustrated and I know you are frustrated as well. Touring the course and watching conditions deteriorate is discouraging. However there is nothing any of us can do about the recent heavy rains. We are saturated and it is going to take more than a warm day or two to firm up. There are no magic solutions or superintendent secrets to improve the present situation other than closing the course and keeping all traffic off until it dries. Of course that is not going to happen. 


So now is when I have to make unpopular decisions. Cart use has been curtailed, low lying areas are beyond pumping without more turf damage, my staff can't drive in a straight line without hitting soft turf, there are ropes and signs everywhere, etc. etc. But this has happened to all of us many times before and it will happen again. I have faith in knowing conditions will improve and we will once again set our sights on presenting a premium golf course. Until that time we carry on to the best of our abilities in very trying circumstances. As for my decisions I have made I stand firm. I only have the best interests of your course in mind. Not having conviction in your thoughts and actions only causes confusion and frustration. Can I be flexible? Absolutely if the rationale is sound. Do I have to go against my desires at times to accommodate the membership? Of course. I'm in the happy business. These are difficult times but my profession is full of challenges and I always meet them head on. 


I encourage anyone to call me if you want to vent or discuss matters of concern. A face to face talk or a chat on the phone can go a long way in calming rough waters. In closing I would like to express my sincere thanks  to all of the membership for your understanding when we have had to close the course or restrict power cart use. Today is shaping up to be a sunny pleasant Friday. Enjoy your round, your meal or have a good practice session at the range. I know what we'll be doing. Mowing, mowing and more mowing.


Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment