Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Great Frost Delay Of May 13, 2012

The title of this blog may seem to make light of what led to a 40 minute delay to tee times this morning but I was stumped for a short title. Before I begin a detailed explanation I want to make one point perfectly clear. My second assistant David Smith made the correct decision in calling a frost delay. Of this there is no debate. There was frost in the rough, on some fairways and on the greens surrounds. No matter how nice it felt standing on the warm up green there was a significant temperature difference down on the course. As you will read circumstances and procedure led to a slighly longer delay than was necessary and for this I take full responsibility as the Superintendent.

It was decided on Saturday that David would organize and supervise the Sunday maintenance program. Eric needed a much deserved day off and I would come in approximately 45 minutes after our 6 a.m. start time in order to allow David his own time with the staff.  When I arrived at work it was a little chillier than I expected, the staff was on the course (I could hear the fairway mowers) and I was looking forward to getting some of my own work done that has been put off due to a certain ongoing project. I went out to paint some fairway perimeters and check on the weaker greens. While out and about I noticed some patchy frost here and there but didn't make anything of it. Not enough to worry about. It was just before 7 a.m. so I wasn't looking for golfers on #1 or #2. I eventually noticed a sprinkler running on 14 tee and it wouldn't shut off. For the next 30 minutes I was trying to solve the problem. At this point I had to return to the maintenance facility for tools and as I crossed in front of the first tee I noticed a crowd of golfers milling about and no one on the course. It finally hit me that there had been a forst delay. You know that sinking feeling we have all felt? I had it. I immediately called the Golf Shop and opened the course.

I then contacted David to inquire about the extent of the frost situation and at what time the staff were able to get on the course (6:30 a.m. and even then they were working around some lingering frost). David proceded by the book. He kept the time we needed to stay ahead of the first tee time (which for us is one hour) and adjusted the day accordingly. Unfortunately a frost delay in mid May on Mothers Day requires some non lateral thinking. That comes with experience. Experience I have.The above mentioned circumstances dictated that I wouldn't be able to help the Golf Shop deal with an upset group of golfers and to assist David in the follow up after making a frost call. Simply put I never expected to see frost after a warm Saturday.

Again I fully support David's decision but that decision needs to be followed up and supported. By that I mean not just estimating an appropriate time to end the frost delay and then heading out on to the course and assuming the norm. In the future David will contact me if anything is amiss. It doesn't mean I will rush to the rescue but I want my assistants to deal with the circumstances as I would. In this case after making the call and realizing a mid May frost call is far different than one in late September, his presence would be required in the Golf Shop or around the warm up green. Not exactly an easy task but one that is required at times. Believe me, if I had clued into the delay sooner I would have been up there myself. It wouldn't have been the first time I have faced an crowd of pissed off golfers. Pardon the english. Its also unfortunate the Golf Shop staff felt abandoned. I am the course superintendent but my desire is to see all departments cooperating and functioning smoothly so that the membership gets the service and attention they deserve.

The day has ended. Monday will be here in a few short hours and another busy week will begin. For those that were affected this morning please accept my apologies. I have spent all day concerned with the content of this blog and would like to now move on. If anyone wants some one on one time with me feel free to email or call. I will post another blog for the "week ahead" tomorrow.

Wade 


No comments:

Post a Comment