Monday, August 8, 2011

On The Course This Week And Soil Reports

I would like to thank my staff for their efforts in preparing the golf course this past weekend. We had the  course right where we wanted it and then down came the rain. They responded with an extra push and got the facility ready after a pounding thunderstorm. A special thanks to some "older guys" Dave, Rick and Kim who managed to pump an incredible amount of standing water which then enabled me to allow carts on the course for Saturday afternoon.

On the course this week:
  • Greens will be verticut on Monday and then mini tine aerated, topdressed, rolled and cut on Tuesday morning. They are in need of some relief from compaction and opening up the surface to aid in water and air movement. Disruption to the surface will be minimal and should help us get to September for a much needed core aeration.
  • Greens, tees, approaches and fairways will be fertilized throughout the week. The rough will not be fertilized.
  • A demo mower is being delivered to the course in the next few days and the first cut will be widened by a few feet. It will take a week or so for the cut to have the finished look I am hoping for.

The soil reports from the ISTRC have been emailed to me. The results are very encouraging and are further evidence (scientific as well) that we are on the right track with our greens maintenance program (and by extension our tees, approaches and fairways). I will post some results from 2010 and show the comparison to 2011 in an email to the entire membership soon. I believe the future bodes well for the overall health of our course as long as we do not deviate from sound, proven cultural turf maintenance practices. If you have any concerns or questions to date about the course please feel free to call me or email my office and I will get back to you.

All for now,
Wade  

No comments:

Post a Comment