Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Factors To Consider When Selecting Pin Positions

Pin positions during a tournament such as the Club Championship are always a topic of discussion amongst the competitors. It is difficult to pick the locations when so many variables are involved. Throughout my career I've been involved with the Canadian Tour, the Alberta Golf Association, the Edmonton Golf Association and many club championships. I've probably learned a bit along the way and I'll admit I've made my fair share of mistakes (meaning hole positions that were too tough and bordering on unfair). Regardless I always look forward to the process and the feedback and it will be no different this weekend. The pins are picked and hopefully you all enjoy the weekend. The following bullets are my thoughts as I went about selecting the positions earlier this week.

So in no particular order:


  • weather forecast (greens and fairways firm or soft?)
  • greens speed
  • turf conditions 
  • length and difficulty of hole 
  • size of green
  • slope and contour around the pin position
  • proximity of bunkers
  • length of rough
  • player skill
  • 6 front, 6 center, 6 back per day (not set in stone)
  • 6 easy, 6 medium, 6 difficult per day (this is subjective after all as I'm the guy making the call)
  • a good mix of left, right and center positions to encourage a variety of shot making
  • anecdotal evidence (which is pretty much all I have to rely on this year aside from my own experiences)

I look forward to hearing feedback from the membership and making whatever changes are necessary for "next time". Good luck to all this weekend and lets hope for pleasant weather.

Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment