Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thoughts From The CGSA Conference In Vancouver

Just returned from the Canadian Golf Superintendents Conference and Trade Show. Vancouver may have been cooler than normal but I saw green grass, water not ice, no winter boots and the odd crocus popping out of the ground.

Did a run/walk around Stanley Park. Oh my aching legs. Cross fit is slightly different than distance running. Save the comments. Didn't seem like an issue at the time. A lot less trees around the NW point since my last visit thanks to that vicious windstorm a few years back.

Looked at some new equipment at the trade show. Saw the new leaf/debris sweeper we will be purchasing in the spring. Aside from our Toro Rake-O-Vac the other sweepers we own will not be used on the property anymore. From what I saw in the fall everytime they went out damaged turf was almost a given. I think we have enough repairs to deal with as it is. Some new innovations in rough mowers and pump station replacement were in my view as well.

The seminars were informative and some will be beneficial to our plans for the course in the near future. No boring details here though. Although one seminar dealt with managing greens of a Poa/Bentgrass mix. Basically different times of the season require different mangement strategies in order to "get the most" out of each turf type. No huge surprise but some new thoughts and ideas were discussed.

One last comment. When you get an industry such as ours together in one location you hear some interesting comments, tales and rumors. You also find time to relax and socialize with colleagues and sales reps. All valuable (aside from the rumors that is) in my humble opinion. Well worth the investment in professional development and I'm thankful the Royal Mayfair supports our attendance at national conferences and regional seminars.

Next blog topic: "Greens Mowing and Double Cutting"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the info! I really have heard some good things about Okanagan turf installation! I have not gotten mine yet but I really have been thinking about getting some!

    ReplyDelete